I’m not exactly sure what to do with it just yet….I would feel morally responsible for selling the “death box,” as my friend Thomas likes to call it (though he still uses it…..), and allowing a poor unsuspecting soul to further deteriorate his or her health. “Here, you can have this disease-causing machine at a reduced price! Today only!”
So why do we do our very best to avoid food cooked in microwaves?
So glad you asked…..
To avoid a long, scientific explanation, I will just give the basics. You can read this article for a more detailed description of the science behind these certain types of energy waves.
“In early 1991, word leaked out about a lawsuit in Oklahoma. A woman named Norma Levitt had hip surgery, only to be killed by a simple blood transfusion when a nurse “warmed the blood for the transfusion in a microwave oven”! Logic suggests that if heating or cooking is all there is to it, then it doesn’t matter what mode of heating technology one uses. However, it is quite apparent that there is more to ‘heating’ with microwaves than we’ve been led to believe.“Blood for transfusions is routinely warmed-but not in microwave ovens! In the case of Mrs. Levitt, the microwaving altered the blood and it killed her. Does it not therefore follow that this form of heating does, indeed, do ‘something different’ to the substances being heated? Is it not prudent to determine what that ‘something different’ might do? A funny thing happened on the way to the bank with all that microwave oven revenue: nobody thought about the obvious. Only ‘health nuts’ who are constantly aware of the value of quality nutrition discerned a problem with the widespread ‘denaturing’ of our food.”
- Microwaving milk and cereal grains changes some of the amino acids into carcinogens.
- Thawing frozen fruit in the microwave converts properties in the fruit to cancer-causing agents.
- Even a very short exposure of any kind of vegetable (raw, cooked, frozen, etc.) to microwaves changes the plant alkaloids to carcinogens.
- Free radicals are formed in microwaved root vegetables (potatoes, carrots, etc.)
- There is a decrease in nutritional value in microwaved foods.
- Continually eating food processed from a microwave oven causes long term – permanent – brain damage by “shorting out” electrical impulses in the brain [de-polarizing or de-magnetizing the brain tissue].
- The human body cannot metabolize [break down] the unknown by-products created in microwaved food.
- Male and female hormone production is shut down and/or altered by continually eating microwaved foods.
- The effects of microwaved food by-products are residual [long term, permanent] within the human body.
- Minerals, vitamins, and nutrients of all microwaved food is reduced or altered so that the human body gets little or no benefit, or the human body absorbs altered compounds that cannot be broken down.
- The minerals in vegetables are altered into cancerous free radicals when cooked in microwave ovens.
- Microwaved foods cause stomach and intestinal cancerous growths [tumors]. This may explain the rapidly increased rate of colon cancer in America.
- The prolonged eating of microwaved foods causes cancerous cells to increase in human blood.
- Continual ingestion of microwaved food causes immune system deficiencies through lymph gland and blood serum alterations.
- Eating microwaved food causes loss of memory, concentration, emotional instability, and a decrease of intelligence.”
- Use the stove/oven/toaster oven. I promise it really doesn’t take that much longer to warm up some soup or heat water for tea on the stove top as opposed to the microwave. Added bonus-the whistle of the teapot will make you smile :)
- Invest in a Vitamix. I’m saving my nickels and dimes for one of these puppies. The ultimate kitchen appliance in my opinion. It will crush, chop, mix, dice and even heat your food (I’ve seen it done! Into the blender go whole fresh veggies, some water and spices. Blend on high for about 4 min. Then enjoy your piping hot soup! But not quite so hot that the nutritional properties are lost–the food is still considered raw. Amazing!) If anyone would care to know more, they can feel free to have one sent to my apartment and I will review it here (recipes included, of course!)
- The Turbo Oven. Sure, it looks cheesy, but the doctor who backs it is extremely respected in the natural living and traditional medicinal communities. I’ve not tried this one, but it looks like a pretty great option for about the same price as a new microwave oven would cost you anyway.
- A crock-pot. What could be easier than dumping some meat and veggies in a pot and leaving it there all day?
- Just go raw. All the nutritional properties in your fruits and veggies will be preserved to be sure. And there is such a satisfying crunch associated with a big ole raw carrot or fresh salad. Or broccoli and cauliflower dipped in hummus. Or bell pepper slices dipped in guacamole. Oh the possibilities are endless!